Saturday, November 9, 2013

Christina's learning time

I've been asked a lot recently about what kinds of things I do during learning time with my kiddos.  I'm going to post separately about each kid since I do completely different things with them!

This post is about Christina.  The main things that we focus on are:

1)  Reading/Writing --- sight word practice and fluency, phonemic awareness activities, solidifying letter sounds, writing the letters in her name

2) Math --- counting items with correct 1-to-1 correspondence, counting up to 40, AB patterns, sorting, comparing items

We go over these things in many different ways!  Here are just some of the examples...

AB patterns using stickers.  Sometimes we use unifix cubes, sometimes counters.


Counting... this was taken a while back when she kept skipping 15, haha.  We slowly added numbers, but not until she had mastered the numbers that were there.
She now counts up to 49. (She thinks 100 comes next but I have yet to burst that bubble). 


Sight word practice.  We practice them with flash cards and when she has learned them they go on the papers that we hang on the wall so she can be proud of them.  She has two and a half of these papers up now!  She starts her learning time morning by reviewing the old words that are up, as well as counting (as seen above).  Sometimes we do different activities with the new words besides just flash cards but I don't have any pictures)


Christina's notebook where we do most of her written work.  She doesn't really need one but I got one for Isaiah and thought it was important for her to have one too!


Sorting and counting counters.  Then we compare the amounts.


She searches for letters and gives me the sounds while tracing them.  Sometimes I use lowercase letters instead.


Just some cues for the letter sounds that she has a difficult time with.  There are hand motions that go with them.


Here she is practicing her sight word fluency with some sight word books.  We read one at the end of each session.


 
Here she is putting sounds together for her phonemic awareness practice.  She has really really improved here!  When we started she was working on syllables.  We moved up to onset/rime but she could only do initial continuants.  Now she is really good at working with initial stops.  We had our first practice with blending phonemes last week and she did great!





















The last thing that we spend time on that I don't have any pictures of is writing her name.  She can spell her name which is great considering how long her name is!  She also has really good fine motor skills and can hold a pencil really well.  She is just very hesitant about forming letters and moving her pencil in purposeful ways.  We have a new magnetic board from Handwriting Without Tears (*thank you Linda!) which she LOVES to use.  We are only working on the C and the H for now.  R is going to be quite difficult to tackle!

Shoot me an email if you have any questions!

2 comments:

Gina said...

That's awesome Grace! They are soo lucky to have you!

Sharon @ Red Poppy | Pink Peony said...

This is so impressive! If we have kids, will you teach them?? :)